Tuesday, February 1, 2011

SPOOL HOLDERS! (an update from a friend in California)

It is February 1st and the weather is below zero here in the front range of Colorado, therefore I have no fishing to report on.

However, a good friend and fisherman Ben C. created a post for me.  His Caribou antler spool holders are unbelievable... and his freshly tied JUMBO John makes me day dream about fall browns.


-Charlie L.









"I sat there and forgot and forgot, until what remained was the river that went by and I who watched it.  On the river the heat mirages danced with each other and then they danced through each other.  Eventually the watcher joined hands with the river, then there was only one of us.  I believe it was the river."
-Norman Maclean (A River Runs Through It)

I don't think anglers spend enough time on the water doing anything other than fishing.  That's not the point of being on the water.  It takes force to abandon fishing and define the river in a different way.
Just my bit of Philosophy.
Charlie is sidelined for awhile, seeing as how he's trying to learn a year's worth of Biochemistry in 7 weeks.  I, on the other hand, have more time than I'd like and not enough stuff to fill it.
A few updates from my fishing world follow:


(36-spool holder)
While in Alaska last summer I collected and cut some Caribou antlers.  I’ve just now completed what I intended: spool holders.  I have three of them and not a great supply of antlers.  Here are the others.

(48-spool holder)

(60-spool holder)
These are the three that I’ve made.  I would love to be able to sell them but can’t put out that quantity.  If you have any great access to antlers hook me up.
In actual fishing news, I’m recently in Southern California and looking to get on the water.  Wet wading in February sounds too good.  If anyone has any friend east of LA, I’d love a contact.  Otherwise I’m biding my time and tying flies until May.
Wish fish,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment