Monday, September 19, 2011

Floating the Ark

Floated the Ark yesterday...I have no pics, but it was one of the most rewarding days I have had on a raft. I learned many small techniques that I haven't thought about before,

1. Keeping the fly on the water as much as possible, and just lifting the line to readjust a drift. Not only does it save your shoulder on an all day float, but more fish see the flies.

2. Even through rapids, fishing all the pocket water possible.

3. Along the same lines, for most of the time, work with a small amount of line, its easier to control.

All these ideas seem like common sense, but I got in the habit of trying to cast to every good spot I saw, and ignoring the steep water, and making 60 foot casts for no reason. When I changed up the game plan, my productivity drastically increased!


Thanks Matt for taking me along for the ride!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like the mighty Ark treated you right.
    You really should come over to this side and take a ride with me... I have some good water here... the invite is open!
    better hurry its getting cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bigerrfish,

    The Ark was fun for sure. I'd love to make my way to the westslope before it gets cold. I am limited to weekends, since I work in the Springs 8 am-530 pm 5 days a week. I think my guiding duties in Breckenridge on the weekends are coming to a close, so lets see what we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Charlie,
    I was inspired by your mouse post and had to give it a shot. Didn't have quite the luck you did but still pretty awesome.

    http://www.deltatroutforce.com/blog.html

    Thanks homie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danny,

    I took the next two days and tried to mouse at dusk all the way through midnight, and I only got 1 more take in about 8 hours of fishing the mouse. So you never know, but just like streamers you gotta have faith that eventually you will find a fish who is willing.

    ReplyDelete